Check Off That Goal for This Year

| |




Or I should say, "I made it."  

Tim never has a problem -- but I was worried on my second time out for the Road Race. Last year I had been walking quite a lot before July, but all I've done this year to "train" is my grueling 90 days of Tony Horton insanity.  As luck would have it, I finished my final week of P90X the Wednesday before the road race, and I found myself thinking, "Hooray!  I can NOT WORKOUT for a few days before I have to walk my 10K."

Of course, then July 4th was close, closer, closest, and I could feel my pulse quickening just thinking about walking that pavement in the blazing sun.  I did hit the treadmill at the gym one day, just to see how far I could make it at a slow trot before wanting to die.  And I was fairly impressed with myself that I was able to make it 3 miles before my lungs started screaming.  (Side note -- It's usually my leg muscles that are begging me to stop, not my lungs, so I guess P90X did a good job with my muscles!)

So bright (OK, so not so bright) and early Sunday morning, Tim and I started out with our numbers and glide to run our second Peachtree Road Race together.  I made sure to take my phone this year so I could get some pictures of the many spectacles I always see there.  I'm sad to say that I only saw one guy running in a hospital gown (and nothing else) and a few guys painted as American flags ... but nothing else too strange.  I made it two miles before I thought I was going to pass out and die in the middle of the road and get trampled by all the other people who think they are runners I just decided to walk (I think I probably walk faster than many of those people were "running."), and finished in 1 hour and 30 minutes (10 minutes faster than last year -- probably thanks to the fact that I didn't have lots of coffee in the AM and didn't have to stop and pee at the port-a-john).  Tim kicked tail in under an hour, being the rock star that he is.  He amazes me that he can do no kind of training at all and still run the entire race.

Anyway, I still have some muscles that are a little sore after the fact (muscles that I didn't know existed), but I'm glad I did it again this year.  

My goal for next year?  To run.

Oh, and to be able to do it in just a sports bra and shorts. ;0)

4 comments:

Anne said...

I blogged check it out!!! You Rock!

Laura said...

Where did you start? My sister and I were in H and "run" about the same speed as you. Maybe next year we can join up with you!

Doug G said...

Good for both of you guys for setting a goal and working towards it. I'm awful with keeping up with my fitness; if I get to the gym 2-3 times a week, I'm doing way better than usual. Do you and Tim work out and run together or separately?

Keisha said...

Doug, we don't workout together, simply because he can't hang with my buff-ness. ;0) Actually, I work out during the day, and if he has time, he has to run or hit the gym after work. So there's no time for togetherness at our house on the workout front.