Thank God for Officer MacNahann!

| |

Update on the ring situation:

On Friday morning, I called the Chattanooga police dept. and the woman I talked to on the phone said that, indeed, they COULD file my report over the phone, I would just have to drive there to pick up a hard copy. That's fine, no problem! So I waited around all day for this woman to call me back and give me a complaint number. Meanwhile, I checked with our insurance agent to make sure that I didn't need a hard copy to file the theft on insurance. She said the complaint number was fine for now.

So I waited ... and waited ...

Then the natives were growing restless, so we got on the swimsuits and headed to the pool.

And, naturally, the police called while we were at the pool. And she couldn't call my cell because, if you remember, I flushed my cell a few weeks ago. Anyway, when we got home, I quickly called the police dept. back. And lo and behold, guess who answered!!

The rude, mean officer I spoke to earlier this week. Here's our conversation (he obviously has not brushed up on his people skills since we last spoke!):

Officer: Chattanooga Police Department.
Distraught victim of Theft (me): Hi, I called earlier today and was told that someone would call me back with a complaint number for my theft. Someone called while we were out of the house.
O: Who did you talk to, ma'am?
Me: No one left a message, I just saw the number on the ID.
O: What was this theft involving?
Me: My wedding rings.
O: And where were the stolen?
Me: The Chattanoogan Hotel.
O: Ma'am, didn't I talk to you last week?
Me: Yes, but I have since talk--
O: I thought I told you to call the downtown precinct.
Me: I have -- 12 times. And no one has called me back.
O: Yeah, they won't call you back. You just have to catch 'em. If you call right at 6, they will answer.
(This was at 5:46, and I needed to go get dinner for my family. We're on a very strict dinner schedule!!)
Me: So I'm just supposed to sit around and call every 5 minutes?
O: Yes, just about.
Me: Well, I talked to someone earlier and she told me that I could file over the phone and she would all me back and give me a complaint number today.
O: Well, I don't know who you talked to, but she was wrong.
Me: Great so now what do I do?
O: Well, it's about 6, so you should probably get off the phone with me and call the downtown precinct.
Me: Thanks.
(Click.)

Yeah, so much for public service, right?!!

So I sit around for a few minutes, fuming, and at 5:55, my phone rang. It was the angel of mercy from the Chattanoogan Police Department, Officer MacNahann!!

He sweetly explained that because the theft was over $500, it is considered a felony and they aren't supposed to take it over the phone. However, since I had already returned home, he would do it over the phone. I told him that I could come pick up the hard copy, upon which he told me that I didn't have to do that at all! If I call Monday, they can mail it to me!!

So this wonderful man put up with my starving children screaming in the background long enough to take my complaint over the phone, and he sympathized with me over the loss of my wedding rings. He was kind, and thoughtful, and patient. He has restored my faith in the police department of Chattanooga!!!

Thank you, Officer MacNahann!!!!

0 comments: