I'm ashamed to say it

| |

But I have not voted in a presidential election. Ever. I am 30 years old and I have not voted once. That's horrible, I know. Especially since I was a social studies teacher for 6 years. But I registered when we moved to Cherokee County, so I'm gonna vote this time. For certain.

I wish I could say that I've been paying attention to the issues. I try to listen to all the commentary, but it gets so muddled. It's hard for me to listen to anyone talking about the war because my brother is in the Army and was injured in Iraq. I hate to think that it was in vain. It's hard for me to listen to them talk about education because I was a teacher. Not only did I have to deal with the early changes when No Child Left Behind came through, but I disagreed with a lot of what was required of teachers. What ever happened to just teaching? I hate the idea of higher taxes. I feel like all children should get free health care. GOOD free health care. I think it's a woman's right to choose. So you can see I'm a little mixed in my feelings. Does that make me an independent? I'm not sure.

I've spent the last few months watching Obama make speeches. He's impressive, no doubt. He's inspiring, for sure. Oprah loves him; all the celebrities love him. So I should too, right? The ultimate propaganda. I've also heard all the negatives about Obama. It's hard for me to vote for someone with such a small amount of experience.

I've also listened to everything being said about McCain. Yes, he's old. That just menas he has a lot of years under his belt, a lot of experiences (many in the name of our freedom), and he is very wise. He's had a lot of time to develop his feelings and his ideals. I think many of his morals mesh with mine as a family woman, a Christian, an educator, and a mother of two.

So I'm excited about the idea of change. Who will bring the greatest change? Who will make this country better than it is today? We shall see. But I know I'm voting for John McCain. What sealed the deal?

The speech I watched last night from Sarah Palin. She was truly impressive. Everything about her enthralled me. I'm excited about the fact that there could be a "young" mother of a special needs child, a wife, and a Christian in the White House. While her speech was a little more "attack dog" than I would have liked (perhaps that's what I have never liked about politics), she touched on many of the things I wanted to hear about. We'll see what happens ... I'll keep my fingers crossed. (Had to share this Piece of Flair from Facebook. It cracked me up!!)

2 comments:

Jamie Goodwin said...

You seem pretty level headed on your thinking process. Most people just pick their candidate based on what their parent's beliefs are, so you seem to be weighing all your options and thinking about the candidates and what they stand for for yourself. I truly enjoyed Sarah Palin's speech last night and will be voting for the McCain/Palin ticket. Now I have voted in every presidential race since I turned 18, and I was a social studies teacher just like you. So, now that you have admitted your lack of voting, I'm encouraging you to vote this November! It IS important and your little ones will be watching you make history! Sorry for my political rampage, I just thought it was interesting you had the "guts" to admit what you did and now you seem to be getting involved. That's awesome!

By the way, I LOVE your blog!

Anne said...

I am right with you - Sara Palin is great! She has way more experience even with the military than Obama. This is history in the making and I'm glad to be a part of it. McCain is not my favorite person in the world but with Palin on the ticket and looking at who he is running against McCain has our votes at the Tucker house. I agree I am on the fence with party issues - I swing more to the conservative side however I feel that both parties should re do the platform to account for our everchanging society! Good for you~!!!