
Because I am so incredibly excited about my discovery (OK, it wasn't my discovery; more like a suggestion from several friends), I must share my new money-saving method. Most of my friends know that, in an effort to save us some cash here and there (OK, and to keep me from possibly going back to work), I've started cutting coupons. I was cutting them here and there before, printing them off the Internet every once in a while. Then I realized that I was only saving 35 cents here and there. Because I do not wish to eat Ramen and macaroni and cheese forever (by the way this is a complete exaggeration -- Tim wants me to tell everyone that we are not as broke as I make us sound), I have taken the advice of several friends and joined the Grocery Game.
I heard about this "game" several months ago from Stacey. However, I thought you had to do alot of work to enjoy the savings. The stories I had heard involved checking the Internet, cutting coupons, checking sales flyers, shopping at 3 or 4 grocery stores for the best deals ... you get my drift. But, finally, I've given in, and I cannot tell you how happy I am about it!
For those of you who are not familiar with the game, here it is in a nutshell (a very small nutshell). You sign up on the website, pick which stores you shop at (you can pick 1 or you can pick 4), then "Teri" gives you her list from that store. Basically, she does all the work for you -- accept paying for the groceries and dealing with the kids in the buggy while you try to find things that match your coupons. The list is separated into different categories -- free, stockpiling, and needs. Then, get this, she tells you which coupons to cut from which flyers/newspapers!!!!
What??!!
So I've been shopping at Kroger and Publix, planning meals around the sale flyers and which coupons I have for the week. There is a fee for participating in the game, but it is not much compared to how much you end up saving. I am by no means a professional saver now, but I have saved over $160 in two weeks by using coupons and shopping according to "Teri's" tips.
So ... if you want to, check it out. I highly recommend it, even if you aren't a coupon-addict, as I now am.
3 comments:
Pretty awesome, huh? Lee about had a FIT when I told him that I'd joined it. Then he saw how much I was saving. Ah....Sweet revenge! :-)
Hey! I used to do this game - can't do it because of my job... cannot shop all over... anyhoo... get CVS... totally worth it (I did not think so, but got it in the beginning when it was $1). I got something free every week and when you get CVS bucks, you can turn around and use them - so if you are going to earn $10, you can hold $10 worth of stuff out for a second transaction and get that stuff for FREE!!!!
I'm a coupon clipper too, and a comparison shopper. I bascially grocery shop at Wal-mart, which matches sales prices from other stores. At check-out I separate the sale items from my regular groceries and as the item comes up for scan I give the sale price at another store, which they match. Sometimes they ask to see the ad, which I always have with me. I haven't heard of The Grocery Game. Hope all the Morris' are good.
Post a Comment