Early Rising

| |


February 1st was Georgia Pre-K sign up day in Cherokee County, it seems.

And I was prepared for it, I tell you.

I sent the kids to Mom's to spend the night so she could get Kendall to school Monday morning and I could get up extra early and get my spot in line at Kidd Connection (my first choice for Pre-K due to its close proximity to Holly Springs Elementary School). I set my auto brew on the coffee pot and my alarm for 4:30 to ensure a great spot in line.

Of course, Tim and I stayed up a little too late watching the Grammy's but that's another story completely.

So Monday morning, with puffy eyes I set out on my trek to find Tanner a spot in "free school." Because he IS going to preschool. No matter what. And just in case I'm not able to secure a well-paying job (ie. anything more than what I make now ... I mean, I can live on hugs and kisses, but a family of four obviously cannot.), we're opting out of the private pre-K, and apparently parents camp out the night of sign up in order to get a spot in their schools of choice.

Not.

I arrived at Kidd Connection at 5 AM amid dark skies. Not even the street lights were on that early! And I sat in the parking lot for about 15 minutes, trying to entertain myself with Facebook on my phone. Naturally, there was nothing to keep up with at 5 AM, and there wasn't enough light to read my recently acquired Nora Roberts novel, so I just sat. Then I had to turn the truck off because I was running low on gas ... and it got really cold. So at 5:15 (yes, only 15 minutes later) I decided I needed to go get gas. That only took another 10 minutes. So around 5:45 another mom showed up (I'm hoping she was thinking the same things I was thinking), and we proceeded to sit in the parking lot until exactly 6 AM when he director showed up to open the door.

I suppose this was better than the alternative of sitting outside on the ground among a line of tired, over-worked, under-paid moms waiting to sign up their kids for preschool.

And now Tanner is almost 99.9% in -- he is #2 after the kids currently enrolled get placed in GA Pre-k.

So that's good.

And now I can be a member of the club of moms who makes up these God-awful stories about camping out in front of the preschools the night before GA pre-k registration in order to scare the first-time-sign-up moms.

Obviously, this is a group who creates these stories ... and then sits back and laughs the morning of registration. :)

0 comments: