Since I started watching Brady and bringing in some cash to help with the family finances, I've become even more bargain savvy when I shop. I try to keep my total grocery bill as close to $100 as possible. I think this week is the first time I've amazed myself!
I was worried when I made my list this week because we are having a 10-year reunion with my Sigma's this weekend, and I knew I was going to be buying a Boston butt for Tim to smoke. After checking the RSVP's, it appears there will be at least 18 people here. I've been watching the sale ads for the last few weeks, waiting patiently for Boston butt to go on sale, and it hasn't happened. So I was prepared to dish out a huge chunk of cash for the butt roast. I'm also charged with paper products, since the event is at our home.
Anyhoodle, I had a strict list (OK, 3 lists) in hand when I left, along with 3 envelopes stuffed with coupons and a ready-to-be-helpful Tanner. (No need to worry here -- I know many people say that they spend more when their kids are with them, but mine are trained! Before we even exit the car, we recite the Morris family mantra -- "We only buy what's on the list.") We hit Publix first, loaded our cart up, and then headed to the checkout. After coupons, my total was $45.
What?!
And I mean the cart was
loaded. 2 boxes of cereal. 3 boxes of Poptarts. Baked Lays. Yogurt cover raisins. Tortilla chips. CheezIts. Graham crackers. Bananas. A cantaloupe. Grapes. By far, my best purchase was the 2 boxes of Fiber One bars (value size -- 10 bars each). They were B1G1 free ($3.49 each), and I have 2 $.50 off coupons (which double), so I got
20 Fiber One bars for 5 bucks!!! All in all, saved more than I spent.
Anyway, I'm showing my inner geek here.
Kroger was our next stop, where I don't actually "save" that much, but a lot of their stuff is usually cheaper in price (like canned goods and meat). Again, a loaded cart, complete with a gallon of milk, 2 OJ's, 2 apple juices, ice cream, chicken breast, ground turkey, a 10 lb. Boston butt, spaghetti sauce, cheeses and butter. $75. Not horrible.
Last stop was CVS for Benefiber (with $3 ECB), B1G1 Arm and Hammer detergent, and 12-pack Scott paper towels for $5. After ECB, total was $12.
So for a grand total of $124 and change, I stocked up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diligence is paying off, I suppose.
Here's a picture of what I got, minus the detergent, the paper towels, the butt roast, the juices, and the milk (they were already in the fridge.)
1 comments:
WOW! Great job - my sigma invite must have gotten lost in the mail (wink J/K) have fun!
Post a Comment