Tim and I have been pondering a, what I consider to be, difficult decision all weekend. A few months ago I applied for a job with the Cherokee Charter Academy. Honestly, i am just putting my name out there anywhere I can get it. I'm hoping to get a job this fall, and the charter school would be a great option.
If it opens.
But that's not the decision we are having a hard time with. We got letters on Friday that both of our kids were accepted into the school.
And I am completely torn over it.
The "mom" part of me, who always wants what's best for my kids, knows that going to a charter school would give them great opportunities. There will be smaller class sizes. There will be uniforms, which leads to less competition over who's wearing what. Each child will have their own individual learning plan, so each of my kids will be getting exactly what they need for their level. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the idea of charter schools, they are essentially publicly funded schools that are more like private school settings. They teach the same curriculum and are held to the same standards, but the school decides how those standards are taught. Basically, it's a private school education at a public school price. (Free.)
So, here's the dilemma.
Well, there are actually two dilemmas.
The first comes from the public school teacher in me. I've always been a big proponent of public school. I know, from experience, that the teacher is what makes the school. I taught my first 3 years in one of the lowest schools in Cobb County. And many days were difficult. But there were also days when I knew those kids appreciated me more than I ever thought they would. because they needed me. They needed what I was giving them so they could find a way out of their situations. Now, granted we do not live in a place like that. But there are poor areas in out county. Anyway, what I'm saying is I love the public school Kendall attends. And more importantly, she loves her school. I've asked her if she'd like to go to a new school, and she says no. But then I think, "Why am I asking?" Tim and I know what's best for our children. We don't ask her if she wants to wear her seat belt. And I wouldn't ask her if she was one of the kids who was going to be going to Indian Knoll in the fall. Moreover, most of her friends live in Harmony on the Lakes and will be going to the new elementary school; so Kendall will still be left to making new friends.
OK, so that's dilemma 1. I want her to stay where she's happy and where I'm happy.
Dilemma 2 is bigger. Most of you (who are following the charter school scene) know that the State Supreme Court has ruled against the constitutionality of charter schools. So there is a chance that the doors won't even open in August. Where does that leave us? Or, even worse, we could start there in August, an 6 months later, they could shut it down and my kids would have to change schools.
But so would all the other kids.
So, I'm still left with making this decision.
Of course, Tim and I have pretty much already made out decision.
But I still want to get everyone else's thoughts on it.
I know 1500 people applied.
And only around 800 got in.
And we were 2 of them.
And I know how badly some other's wanted those spots.
So what are your thoughts?
2 comments:
Oh, the "what ifs" are SO hard, aren't they? All of this is only my opinion (you asked, right?). Kids are resilient. K isn't a senior in HS, so her having to change schools really won't be as traumatic as it would be if she were much older. And IF the school does open and then close halfway thru the year, she'll adjust again. The transition may be difficult at first but she'll make new friends and find her niche.
We have LOVED having smaller class sizes for Madeline. The one on one time she gets when she needs it is wonderful. Uniforms are nice too. How hard is it to say "blue, red or white shirt? Pants or skirt?". Saves you money too!
I think if you are even the slightest bit interested in sending the kids there, try it! The worst that could happen is they don't like it/you don't like it/they close and they go back to the regular school the following year.
Claudia had uniforms at her private Pre-K this year. It was nice not arguing over clothes to wear. The kids, however, instead of competing over the clothes they wear, now compete over who has the coolest socks, shoes, hairbows, tights, etc. I think you're right about going with the charter school, and if it gets shut down, oh well! You still have a place at the local elementary school. You're a good mommy no matter what happens. :-)
Post a Comment