
Do you know how many days it's been since I've had adult interaction other than my husband? In person, I mean. I'm not talking about the stinking computer messages from politicians or talking to my mom 15 times on the phone. Nor am I talking about e-mail or Facebook messages. I mean human to human, face to face contact.
3 days. 72 hours. That's ridiculous. For those of you who work outside of the home, you probably cannot fathom this idea. I couldn't when I was teaching. In fact, I used to WISH I could get a day away from the adults I had to deal with.
Oh, but not now. No way. So when a college friend and sorority sister, Heather, asked to come pre-shop my consignment sale crates, I jumped at the chance!! She is a stay at home mom as well, with a new born and a two year old (God bless her!). It is so easy for us to relate to each other simply because our kids are the same age apart. I realized sitting with her today that I was in her shoes 2 years ago. I can't believe it was that long ago.
As she talked about feeling like something was out of whack all the time, I understood what she meant. When she talked about her oldest enjoying time out, I could only smile because Kendall used to do the exact same thing. And it felt so good not to have to apologize for Kendall sitting on top of her, or wanting to hold the baby the entire time, or staring at her as she nursed. I usually have to apologize to people because they either have older kids or none at all. But not with Heather. She listened attentively to everything Kendall asked. She answered questions. She let Kendall hold Kate as much as she wanted, being very patient as she had to rearrange pillows and arms several times so Kate wouldn't get squished in Kendall's arm pit. It was wonderful to see my children interact with someone else. And what an amazing experience to realize that I have known this woman for, what?, 10 years now? And we are sharing this new journey ... our kids know each other and play together. It's just a really good feeling that probably sounds gushy and mushy to some.
So as Heather and I bounced parenting tips off each other and talked about how much we've learned from Jon & Kate plus 8, I hope she noticed how much I needed to talk. I hope she realized how much talking to her makes me feel like a better mom. I hope she appreciates me half as much as I appreciate her!
I look forward to many more play dates with Heather -- I mean, Meg and Kate. ;)
2 comments:
Hey! I will be in your shoes come December - I stay home and have a 8 yr old step daughter with a newborn on the way! I wish I had you near I would come for a playdate!!! Are you refering to Heather Abernathy? If so I would love her e-mail!!!
Cheers
Anne
Oh -- if only you KNEW how much I appreciate our time together! There is absolutely nothing like talking to someone that has BEEN exactly where I am now exactly 2 summers ago. What a relief it is to have a friend like you!!
Post a Comment