No "Mother of the Year" Here

| |

OK, I don't mean to be down on myself. But I realize that I sometimes a paint an unfair picture of my kids. Many times I complain about them, how much they whine, how much they tire me out, how much I wish I could get a break from them. So, in the spirit of fairness, I am going to present the top 10 reasons why I will NOT be winning mother of the year this year.


10) I have been known to give a child Benadryl to get some sleep. (Don't knock it til you've tried it!)

9) Every day for lunch my kids eat one of three things: peanut butter and jelly, mac n cheese, or chicken nuggets. Yes, EVERY DAY.

8) I do not make my kids brush their teeth twice a day, every day.

7) I am not a get in the floor and play mom; play time is used for checking e-mail.

6) I allow Kendall to play on the Internet at age 4. (I don't think this is so bad, but some people will.)
5) I look forward to "play dates" more for the adult time than for the kid time.


4) I let my kids jump on the bed, climb over the back of the couch, and walk around while they eat.



3) I still let both of my kids, ages 4 and 2, drink from sippy cups. Apparently, children should be off sippies when they are 2.

2) Days may go by before I realize, "You know, the kids haven't had a single vegetable in __ days." And that blank is not filled with the number 1.


1) My kids don't get breakfast in the mornings until I've had AT LEAST one cup of strong coffee.





However, allow me to point out the following:



-- Suri (Cruise) still drinks from a bottle all the time, and she is 3.





-- Ryder (Kate Hudson's boy) has lonnnnnnng hair and looks like a girl way more than Tanner does.






-- Britney -- enough said.





I may be no Mother of the Year, but my kids mean more to me than anything. I love watching them learn new things and discover how things work. I love waking up to Kendall every morning, even if I have been sleeping with her in her bed all night long. I laugh every time Tanner asks, "Why, Momma?" simply because I know he really wants to know why. I'm so blessed that I have been able to stay home with them these past two years. And while they are never as happy to see me as they are to see Tim, I'm OK with that. We share a bond comparable to no other, my kids and me. And while they have plenty of people to love them all around them, they will never find another love like mine!

3 comments:

pokey said...

That gave me a good laugh! I should make my own list sometime. UGH!

Heather Dahlby said...

Um, I think that many of those on your top ten are met with a 'me too' over here at the Dahlby house. So, no mother of the year for me, either. At least not this year :)

Unknown said...

With a love like you have for your kids - you ARE Mother of the year in my book. And of course that makes me Nana of the year!!!

Mom