Blackout Bama!!

| |

So today is THE BLACKOUT... and I'm so very excited!! I've passed the kids off to Nana, and Tim and I are looking farward to watching the game in surround sound with some neighbors. I bought my Little Black T-shirt ... my kids are even dressed in their GA garb, though Kendall insists she will not be watching football. Though I'm super excited about this game, I'm also a little sad. When we play Bama, it always brings back some memories of growing up with a dad who was, quite possibly, one of the biggest Bama fans ever. He was raised on Crimson Tide ... my grandfather's basement was decorated with pictures of Bear Bryant and famous players of the past. Josh and I both had Alabama T-shirts from the age of 2 (Kendall is wearing mine in this picture from January!) I used to listen to my dad quote statistics on the players for Alabama every Saturday. I remember him yelling at the TV during football games if things didn't go his way ... or even when they did. And I remember thinking when I was accepted to the University of Georgia that my daddy was gonna have such a hard time adapting to red and black. He had been crimson for so long!! But he took it all in stride. He began wearing his Georgia Dad t-shirts and sweatshirts proudly. He put his Georgia Christmas tree ornaments in the front and allowed the Alabama ones to move to the back. I was so very happy that my dad was willing to root for a team he never dreamed of liking. Luckily, UGA did not play Bama in football when he was still alive, for I am certain that it would have forced him to make a very difficult decision. However, he always looked better in black than in crimson, so perhaps he'd be wearing his black right alongside me today!! And he'd be yelling, "Go Dawgs" for sure!!!

0 comments: