OK, so it's not Father's Day anymore, but I didn't want to write this on, what I now think of as, "Tim's" day. I don't like to dwell on the fact that I don't have my dad with me any longer on Father's Day, or on the fact that I should've spent more time with him on his Father's Days when he was here. When Father's Day rolls around, I always think of him first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but the rest of the day is devoted to Tim, the father of my children. And that's how my dad would want it to be.
So today I finally caught up on my blog reading, and I found this on the Post Secret
site for Sunday, Father's Day. And it made me realize that perhaps this is why I have not felt the need, or even wanted, to go back to church. My dad was a pastor ... preaching in his prison ministry was close to his heart. And he always had the word of God to speak when needed. He was patient when it came to explaining things to those who really didn't understand or didn't want to listen. Many thought of it as "Bible banging," but over the years I grew accustomed to his ways. He only wanted to share the love God had put in his heart.Perhaps one day I will be able to find a place of worship that makes me feel as comfortable as sitting with my own dad ... only then will my children be able to understand the strength and warmth of God's love. I can't seem to explain it the way Dad did. The only thing comparable is the warmth and strength of their own PawPaw's love ... which neither of them will get to experience first hand.
0 comments:
Post a Comment