Recently I've had to realize how big my kids are getting. With Kendall's 5th birthday, she has found a new independence that I had hoped would come with age. She enjoys helping me around the house now (never mind that she gets stickers and allowance for helping). She dresses herself in clothing and shoes that match. She bathes herself. She brushes her own hair and teeth. And just yesterday she cleaned the entire playroom by herself, and everything was in the correct bin when I checked. (You know this is no small feat if you've seen our playroom.) With all of this independence, I have allowed Kendall to take on some "duties" as the big sister. I had no idea this would cause one of the most humorous moments of my mommy-career.
Allow me to give you some background. A few weeks ago, Tanner started waking before the coffee pot comes on. We have a simple rule in the mornings -- no one gets out of bed before the coffee pot comes on. I used to set it for 7:30, then it went back to 7:00, and now with the early sunrise, I've moved it all the way back to 6:30. Anyway, I digress. Tanner used to sleep until 8 ... and Kendall always woke fairly early, but she would just climb in bed with me and we would lie there for an hour or so until Tannerbug woke. So when he started getting up early, I knew the sleeping in was over. (He even woke up before 6 one morning; I thought I would die.)
At first, he would just call me to come get him. I would try to get him to go back to bed, but it rarely worked. Then I tried putting him in bed with me, but he doesn't lie still the way Kendall does, so it was a moot point. After a few days, I noticed he wasn't coming in anymore. But shortly after 6:30, I would hear giggles. From Kendall's monitor. So Tanner had started going into Kendall's room and lying in bed with her. No big deal. The coffee pot kicks on, and they come get me.
But this past week they have started a new morning ritual. Lord knows what time they wake up, but Tanner goes to Kendall's room and they go upstairs to the playroom. I never hear a peep. Kendall usually puts in a movie (It has been Annie this week since she got it for her birthday.), and they sit in their little Pottery Barn chairs and watch a movie until I get up. But yesterday I was met in the kitchen by two beautiful princesses - one in a gorgeous pink dress and ballet shoes, and one in a tu-tu with Sleeping Beauty high heels. The two prettiest princesses I've ever seen.While Tim wasn't terribly excited about the whole thing, I found it to be absolutely precious. When we tried to "talk" to Tanner about dressing in Sissy's dresses, he matter-of-factly stated, "Sissy let me borrow one." He, in fact, did not mean to dress as a princess. He simply wanted to play dress up with Sissy, and his Batman costume was nowhere to be found.
So he improvised. (Side note : If you're looking for something to give Tanner for his birthday, boy dress up clothes would be ideal!)
1 comments:
Like father, like son. I think I have a picture somewhere around the house when Dana (our cousin) and I dressed Tim up as a girl :o)
That's so sweet though. Kendall is a GREAT big sis!
Post a Comment