Kindergarten Book Club

| |

OK, just a quick post about my conference with Mrs. Nations, the best kindergarten teacher EVER, yesterday.

You know I requested a conference after Kendall brought home the second "yellow note" that mentioned talking and being a kid distraction.

Of course, upon sitting down with the greatest kindergarten teacher in the world (no, really), I expressed my concern over the notes.  In a sweet fashion, Mrs. Nations proceeded to grin and giggle.  I usually would take offense to this, but she then proceeded to tell me the following, in random order:

Kendall is perfect.

She (Mrs. Nations) would gladly take 18 more just like her.

Kendall is wonderful 99% of the time.

Kendall is helpful and sweet.

Kendall knows all of her sight words and reads very well.  In fact (the piece de resistance!!!!) Kendall is in the TOP READING GROUP, which includes only 4 children who are pulled out separately to read the hard book. :0)

Kendall transitions well from one activity to the next.

Kendall has succeeded in making a lot of friends, even boys, and she usually makes the right choices when her friends begin to, um, stray.

After oodles and oodles of praise, I said, "Well, there must be something she needs to work on if she's having notes sent home."

Being ever-prepared, Mrs. Nations responded with the following:

The only thing Kendall needs to work on is slowing down on her work.  I should be happy she's not a perfectionist and she doesn't beat herself up when she doesn't get it perfectly correct.  (Is that a negative disguised as a positive?  I remember them teaching us that in teacher school.)  She also needs to work on keeping her hands to herself, which is where the notes stemmed from.  Kendall likes to play with her Best Friend This Year Forever Lexi, and even when they are separated, they seek each other out.

It's cute, I think.

I'm jut happy she has friends at school.  Being the shy one that she was, I was always fearful that she would have a hard time making friends.  So I'm happy she has Lexi, and Zoe, and Brett, and Kenny (whom she is going to marry, and I'm a little wary of that because he has crazy food allergies and can't have sugar; he may not survive in our family), and Jonathan, and Charlese.  And I'm glad she's friends with poor little Tiffany, who "never dresses her best" or "wears pretty dresses" and "always looks dirty and cries."  (That's another blog for another day, but don't let me forget to post it!)  And now I believe what Jeannie and Beth told me -- if there have only been 2 notes in 100 and some odd days, we're doing just fine!

Whew!  I'm glad that went well.

And I have a good reader.  I'm a happy mommy.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure she was giggling because she knows Kendall has a brother that will be in school soon. LC