I'm not sure what I expected ... waking up this morning. I am officially 33 years old today. Honestly, I don't feel any older. I checked for new wrinkles and new greys in the mirror -- no evidence of me getting any older overnight.
That's good.
The morning was just like usual. Arguing with the girl child about how to fix her hair and what shoes she should wear. Arguing with the boy child about how many stuffed animals he could bring in the car to take Sissy to school.
Nothing new there.
Of course, before all of that I was greeted with several expressions of love from my wonderful hubby. I found "Happy Birthday" and "I Love You" all over the place -- the envelope for the tag office, the mailbox board where I make my to-do list. He's so sweet -- he knew exactly where'd I'd look first thing this morning. As you can see from my to-do list, it's just another day at the office for me.
On that note -- why do birthdays have to be so boring and regular for us adults? I mean, do you remember when you used to get to wear those fun "It's My Birthday" hats at school? When your friends decorated your locker? Or when you wore pins that said, "Kiss Me, It's My Birthday"? I miss those days. Last year, I didn't want a big deal made about my birthday. Honestly, I haven't made a big deal about anything since my 30th. But why do we not make a big deal? Seriously, another 365 days under our belts. And look at all that we accomplish in one year?
Of course, I can't really remember much from this year because it flew by so quickly (or maybe it's because I'm not very good at remembering things ... we've discussed that before, right?). But I do know that I proofread a lot of crap. And I potty trained a 3 year old. And
almost got the same stubborn kid to stop sucking his thumb. I've managed our home. I've cooked hundreds of dinners. I've attended many kid-type birthday parties. I've tolerated some pretty annoying behaviors from several adults at those parties. ;) I've taken care of myself -- trying to keep up my annoyingly youthful good looks (thanks to a lot of hair dye). I ran my second Peachtree Road Race. I celebrated 10 years of marriage to my Timmy. Hmmmmmm ... what else ...
Anyway, for all of these things, I honestly believe I should get an all out Chuck E Cheese party.
Or something like that.
Without the the big mouse puppet.
And with alcoholic beverages. :D
Oh, and what did we do without Facebook for so many years?? I have felt more love today on my birthday than I ever could've imagined. Thanks to Facebook --- and of course, to those who posted the birthday wishes on my Wall.
A special shout out goes to my daughter who reminded me this morning, "Mommy, even if you
feel old, you're still perfect." She melts my heart.
Another shout out to Heather Dahlby who sent me an awesome birthday card in the MAIL. (Yes, believe it or not, I'm one of those people who still enjoys paper cards in the mail.) She reminds me (quite often) how lucky I am to have such awesome friends.
And the last shout out to my mom for taking me to lunch. My dad used to take me to breakfast every year on my birthday -- it's funny how I remember that. We used to go to Le Peep on the Square and have French toast. It was nice to sit at a table with my mom and just be us -- Mom and daughter. :)
Now I'm off to make myself one of those hats ...
0 comments:
Post a Comment