It's Graduation Day!!

| |

I know, I know.  It's been a long time since I wrote anything.  It isn't because I haven't had plenty to talk about -- I mean, we're gearing up for summer around here!  But I've been working a lot (out of the house), and then my kids have become a job all by themselves lately.  And once again my "status updates" have begun to define me, so I haven't really felt the need to blog as much.  Yes, my book is still untouched (and the thoughts, untapped in my brain).  Tim keeps reminding me that I haven't started that yet.  I am having the hardest time figuring out HOW to start it.  I mean, like, what should be the first sentence?

Anyway, today is a big day in the Morris house.  The baby of the family, little Tannerbug, is graduating from preschool tonight.  In honor of this momentous occasion, I am writing a nostalgic, sappy, heartfelt post on how wonderful and amazing he is.  I cannot believe, looking at these pictures, that this is the same little boy who started school in August.  While he was still the same age, he has grown so much this year.  At the beginning of the year, Tim and I used to sit and wonder if he'd ever "get it."  All the writing and the letters and the coloring in the lines ... I worried because he wasn't as advanced as Kendall was at his age.  I worried because he showed absolutely no interest in school.  And most of you probably remember my posts about dropping him off at school and how hard it was to get him in the swing of things.  It was probably Thanksgiving before I could drop him off without any tears.

Tanner - First Day
Now, while he'll probably never be a bookworm like his sister and mom, he has taken a liking to his friends at school.  He loves his teachers and the other kids at school.  He comes home daily with stories of what Joshua did that day or how funny Collin was in carpool.  And after spending time at Child's Play, I can honestly say that he has made some really good friends and grown a ton.  He learned most of his sight words (which Tim and I NEVER thought would happen).  He can write his first and last name, and his middle name if we spell it for him.  His coloring has improved, and he has even begun drawing pictures from scratch.  Monster trucks and police cars are his favorite. :0)



So here I am on the morning of his graduation and I am so proud of what he has accomplished this year.  I've always loved this little boy more than life itself -- and he knows it --but today I'm PROUD.  Pride is a completely different feeling and emotion.  To stand in front of a group of adults and say, "Yep, that one is mine," makes me feel so good.  Tanner makes me smile like no other, he gives hugs like no other, and he still loves being his momma's boy.

Tanner - Graduation
As Tanner stands on the stage tonight in his red, white, and blue and belts out, "God Bless America," I'll secretly be thinking about the first time I swaddled him, the first time I rocked him, the first time he took a step, the first time he said, "Momma," the first time he walked away without looking back, and I'll smile behind those tears.  I am so proud of our little bug.

0 comments: