I Love Having a Girl

| |

I know I talk a lot about how difficult Kendall can be.  For a few years now (or more) I've complained about her attitude and how hard she is to manage.  Of course, recently I realized it is because we are so much alike.  She is independent and stubborn; she gets each of these traits from her mom and dad, respectively.  I always joke about how she was such a rough baby (Thank God most of that has been blocked from my memory ...), she was an amazing toddler (except for the whole sleep issue thing), then she was a terrible three-year-old and a ferocious four-year-old.  When she turned 5, Kendall became the sweetest angel ever, only to return to the land of the sassy when she hit age 6.  Many have heard me say, "How can it be that I only got a few good years out of her?"

Of course, I mean those words with the greatest intentions and I say them with love, always.

I love my little girl.  In fact, I down-right adore her most of the time.  She is not cuddly and affectionate with me the way Tanner is, so many times it's difficult to "feel" the love.  But as we celebrated her 7th birthday this past weekend, I found myself reflecting on the life I've had with her so far.

In honor of my little girl and her 7th birthday, I am now going to give you the top 10 reasons why I love having a girl.  Specifically, my little girl.

1)  Hair -- Little girls have way better hair than little boys.  I mean, even if you decide to grow your son's hair out (which we tried to do for a few years), you still can't put it in rollers, braids, or pigtails.

Well, you can, but people will think you're weird.

And I am amazingly lucky to have a little girl who has a head of hair as luscious and gorgeous as her mother's.  Which is a blessing and a curse simultaneously.

2)  Nails -- While being a mom of a boy is awesome, having a little girl that you can take to the nail place is an experience everyone should have.  I look forward to many years of taking Kendall to the nail salon and having her nails done.  She has recently grown accustomed to doing her own nails at home (and I have to let her do them ... with clenched teeth), and she loves her glitter.

A boy with glittery fingernails just wouldn't be right.

3)  Lip gloss -- I love lip gloss.  So does Kendall.  And she has more lip gloss than I do.  Her favorite?  Her Clinique lip plumper.

4)  Shoes -- My girl loves some shoes.  And not only does she love having many pairs of shoes, she likes shoe shopping.  I remember when I was little and I used to play dress up with my mom's heels.  Kendall does the same thing now, at least once a week.  While I hate the stomping that comes with the heel testing, I do love to see her walking around in my shoes.  I can only hope one day that we have the same size foot ...  because she has great taste in shoes.

5)  Purses -- Kendall can appreciate a good purse.  Or bag.  And the bigger, the better.  Enough said.

6)  Chores -- She likes to help around the house.  Her favorite chore since she could reach the sink was helping with the dishes.  Heck, she even liked helping before she could reach the sink.  I like to show her other things to do do she won't always think that cooking and cleaning are her responsibility as a woman; but for now she's content taking on the "mother" role and helping me with the dishes and cooking.  And that makes me happy.  I recently found a new appreciation for her "help;" she helped pull my hair through the cap when we were doing my highlights.  Thanks, baby girl!

7)  Dolls -- I know in recent years it has been OK for boys to play with dolls.  Some new age moms even urge their boys to play with dolls, trying to break the gender stigma that comes along with raising boys and girls.  However, before I could tell her otherwise, Kendall became fascinated with dolls.  She has Barbies now, but even at age 7, she still prefers baby dolls.  Nana and I took her to the American Girl Bistro and Boutique for her birthday.  And while she appreciated all the big girl dolls, she immediately gravitated toward the Bitty Babies on the way in the store.  She ended up coming home with one; another baby to add to her collection.  And she loves carrying them, changing their fictitious diapers, and loving on them.  She puts them to bed and sings to them.  It all verifies that a) I've taught her something right about being a good mom, and b) she is going to be a good mommy one day.

8)  Dance -- I remember the first time I put a pair of tap shoes on Kendall.  I teared up as I tied those little black laces, and Kendall never understood why.  To this day, every time I watch her dance, I cry.  When they have parent watch week at dance class, I cry.  I know she thinks I'm so weird -- but it's just that I'm so proud of her.  She was so shy when she was younger.  And watching her break out of that shell has made me ooze with pride.  I adore all her little outfits and all her little tights and all her little costumes.  I was devastated when she told me she doesn't want to dance anymore.  I'm still hoping to change her mind before fall classes start.

9)  Daddy's girl -- I know that Tim doesn't realize it, but this little girl loves her some Daddy.  Not only do they look alike, but many aspects of their personalities are the same.  Not only is she gorgeous like him, but she is strong, independent, brave, and contemplative, just like Tim.  There are still nights when Tim isn't home and she cries when i put her to bed because he isn't here for her to kiss good night.  While it makes me tear up, it also makes me happy that she misses him when he's gone.  I love having a Daddy's Girl.

10)  Forever friends -- I know that, while Kendall and I bump heads pretty regularly these days, I have a forever friend in her.  Tanner will be the one that I have to take care of and get out of trouble; but Kendall is going to be a confidante, a shopping buddy, a dinner partner, and a friend when she is older.  I look forward to having a relationship with her like I have with my mom now.

As an added bonus, she is just so darn cute.  I couldn't ask for a better little girl.  I'm glad God chose Tim and me to be her parents.

0 comments: