Tanner & Kendall - August 2008
Sometimes, as stay at home moms, it's difficult for us to just let kids be kids. We spend so much time trying to make sure our kids are being challenged or entertained that we forget the world is filled with built-in opportunities for enjoyment and engagement at little to no price.
This picture was taken on one of those days when I was bummed out that we couldn't go to the pool because it was raining.
And what did the kids do?
They got wet anyway! And I had the best time listening to them giggle and laugh while they ran in and out of the rain and laid in the puddles on the porch.
Sometimes I have to remind myself that they are kids ... they don't know what they don't have or what classes they aren't taking or what event they can't attend unless we tell them. It is always the internal Mommy Guilt that gets the best of us.
Just yesterday I found myself feeling really upset that I never found a VBS for the kids to attend this summer. Kendall always has the best time at VBS with her friend Daniel, but Daniel isn't going this year, so I just never signed Kendall up. I still get so weary about her going to a new place without a friend to hold her hand. (I know, I shouldn't do this, but I do, nonetheless.) And this summer Tanner was going to get to go for the first time as well, being newly potty-trained and all.
But the days got away from us with the end of the year festivities and with me trying to get my certification updated. Days were filled with other activities, and now it appears we will not be attending a VBS this year.
But I am pretty sure it bothers me more than them.
So we'll just spend our days together doing the every day things that make us smile ... plus the two pages from our Summer Bridge Activity workbooks. :0) (Again, Mommy guilt is kicking in. I never taught Tanner all those things I said I was going to, and now I'm sending him off to Pre K without being prepared. But that's a blog for another day!)
0 comments:
Post a Comment