I Have Arrived

| |

After our couple of hours at the pool today, the kids and I pondered what to do for dinner.  I absolutely did not feel like cooking, and Tanner doesn't appreciate the art of pizza as much as his sister and I do, so we were left with the options of McDonald's and Mexican.  Naturally, we chose Mexican.  Everyone switched out of their swimsuits into their clothes and we jumped back in the car to hit the restaurant.  It wasn't until after we were seated and our drinks were ordered that I realized something.

We have arrived.

We are finally where I've been waiting for us to be.  For years.  The transition from pool to clothing to car took all of 15 minutes.  Both kids can get in the car by themselves.  Kendall can buckle her brother and herself.  We can make a short drive up the road, singing along to our favorite Ke$ha songs.  Kendall can order her own food.  And we can sit in a booth, with no diaper bag or highchair or bibs, and have a conversation with our kids about our day or things coming up in the next few days.

And I am so happy. Not just content, but happy.  I realized that tonight.  Now, I would've been happier had Tim been at dinner with us, but still, it was so much fun.  We just sat and ate our chips and salsa, shot paper straw covers at each other, and enjoyed each others' company.  No pressure to hurry for bed time.  No constantly having to ask, "Do you need to go potty?"  Just being with them is so much fun now.

So we have arrived.

I have arrived.  I have made it through some tough years and issues with these kiddos.  Would I have done some things differently?  Absolutely.  But I can honestly say that the best things about me are my children.

My sweet, dirty, smelly, loud-mouthed, misbehaving, loving, kind, giggly, squirmy, absolutely beautiful gifts from God.  They are by far the best thing I've ever done.

No question.  No doubt about it.

0 comments: