When Can We Go Back??

| |

I've been trying to find some time to post about our family vacation last week ... and this is the first moment I've had.  I want to make sure I have ample time and energy to devote to the topic, seeing as how it was our first "real" vacation as a family.  I mean by "real vacation" that we had two adults and two kids who do not require naps (yay!!) and a nana.  And we were at the beach.  And we had this absolutely fabulous day at Disney planned.  Tim and I were excited beyond belief about sharing this experience with the kids, and we couldn't wait to get to Florida.  So we woke the kids last Satuday morning, ate some breakfast, and loaded up.  Poor Nana was squeezed in the back between two boosters (which beats two car seats), we were loaded up with movies (but no batteries for the headsets, which made for a cranky Daddy), but we were headed for fun.

And we were going to enjoy it, dammit.

The kids were AMAZING on the drive down.  No joke, they never complained about needing to pee (which I was worried about, seeing as this was our first trip without diapers) or being hungry.  OK, wait, there were complaints around 10 about being hungry ... but I think that was me ...

I think Kendall made Tanner (and Nana) watch Enchanted two or three times, but then they colored and played with their electronic gadgets.  Before we knew it, we were there.  And the week went off without a hitch!  Tim and I were able to sleep in (Thank you, Nana!!) every morning.  The kids didn't fight.  I got to eat and drink whatever I wanted.  We played in the pool every day.  It was perfect.



Wednesday was our day to visit the Mouse.  Of course, Tuesday night I was worried everyone (translation: kids) wouldn't sleep due to excitement.  But the kids had to be woken on Wednesday morning in order to head out.  The drive from Cocoa Beach to Orlando is about 1 hour and 10 minutes or so, but we made it in good time.  I was giddy in the car, counting signs on the way there.  Once we were in the parking lot, I think Tanner was just excited about riding the golf-cart tram to the monorail!!  Once off the monorail, we were full-speed ahead, trying to squeeze in as much as we could in our one day at the Magic Kingdom.  I had fun, and everyone else had fun, but I must say, it was NOT what I thought it would be.

Before going, I pictured characters walking through the streets, eager to meet my adoring children.  I pictured Kendall in an embrace with at least one princess ... not picky about which one.  I pictured Tim and myself, watching with big smiles as Tanner talked to Woody and Buzz, telling them how much he loves their movies.  Now, after the fact, I have to admit Disney was nothing like what I expected.

Don't get me wrong: we had fun.  And I'm pretty sure Tim and the kids loved every second (Well, except for the seconds sitting and waiting for the parade, in which old people kept trying to creep in on our space.).  But I was left feeling a little... disappointed.  I never got that embrace I pictured between Kendall and a princess.  Or even a fairy.  If you have a daughter, only you can understand the angst I felt when I left the park.  We didn't see one princess.  How is that possible??  OK, we saw Snow White when we first got there, but she was skipping away.  Then we caught Jasmine and Ariel just as they were closing up shop.  (Side note:  I wasn't aware that there were scheduled times for visiting with the characters.  Moms, you should have shared this with me!!)  And what a crappy job -- to be the one who has to turn the little girls (and their wishful moms) away.  Anyway, the kids were able to meet (and touch) Buzz Lightyear, which left Tanner with feelings of ecstasy, but I was still let down when we never found a princess to hug.

But ... the kids were happy.  They got to ride every ride (except Space Mountain, though they could've ridden it), and Splash Mountain was the favorite.  We ran into our neighbors, which was funny.  The kids got to eat french fries, like, 4 times that day.  They got to stay up late and watch fireworks and a parade.  And they got new toys -- Kendall wanted a parasol ("Its not an umbrella, Mommy.  It's a parasol to block the sun.") and Princess Minnie ears, and Tanner picked a pack of cars that looks like the rides we rode and some spinning cars with Woody, Buz, and Zerg on them ("I don't want any stupid ears, Mommy!  I want something with wheels!").  I'm glad we did it ... but I also do not understand how in the world people do this two or three times a year!

Hmmm ... what else ... Oh!!  Tanner learned how to swim!!  Seriously!!  So I now am the proud momma (and Tim, the proud Daddy) of two swimmers!

Both kids rode the slide at the condo (which is WEAK after riding Splash Mountain).

I have recovered from the nasty stomach issue I was dealing with ... unfortunately, I recovered so well that I gained 5 lbs. on vaca.

I still think my mom is the best ever.  She went out of her way to make sure Tim and I had time to ourselves and to rest while in Florida.  We are blessed.

Tim got to rest; and for the first time, it didn't take him 3 days to get used to doing nothing!  I think he was just so over-worked before we left that he couldn't wait to relax.

And now we're back to the grind.

But vacation was fun.  And we got to see some snakes and spiders.

Even if there weren't any princesses ... ;0)

0 comments: